Before we start I want everyone to know I am not happy Finn or any wrestler got injured ever!!!
I am just trying find the bright side!!
When Finn Balor finally appeared on Raw for many it was an amazing moment. Fans have been waiting for long time to see how Finn would do on the main roster. Next, we all thought that Vince will fuck this up for us, but Vince surprised us all and did the right thing. Finn beat Roman on Raw to become number one contender for the Universal title. Then out some amazing dream, Finn Balor became first Universal champion beating Seth Rollins. However, even the Demon King couldn’t escape the injurer Seth Rollins. So Finn relquinished the title and stepped aside.
This is where greatness was born. Kevin Owens went on to become the second Universal champion. That alone was amazing, but what came next would transcend the year. That was Jeri-KO, they became the face of Raw. No matter how much Vince attempted to make it Roman Reigns, Jeri-KO were and are Raw. Through their friendship we found the comedy and captivating promos we have been missing for years, dare I say since Rock and Austin. Their friendship also created the greatest WWE superstar of the year the LIST. Oo, the list such a simple idea that became the backbone of the flagship show. I will remember 2016 because of the list and of course AJ Styles.
So maybe Finn Balor would have been amazing and defined 2016, but all I know is if he never went down the list may have never been created and that’s not a wrestling world I want live in.
P.S. I guess we owe Seth Rollins a thanks because without his never ending injury train, we never would have saw a rebirth of Chris Jericho.
Women’s Revolution my butt, why aren’t we seeing a Women’s Rumble this year? Not enough numbers you say? Then do a 20-women rumble. You have about 6-7 women on each show, add in some women from NXT and some legends as they do with the main rumble and you have enough to do a 20 women royal rumble. It seems like all year, they were trying to “make history” with woman matches and then they drop the ball at the second biggest PPV of the year. Come on, you know Victoria and Ivory have nothing better to do this time of year.
Kenny Omega coming off an epic war with Okada at wrestle kingdom 11 which many are labeling match of the year. He has come out on twitter to say he is taking time off to reevaluate his next move, which brings us to question could he be what WWE needs? Could he excel in WWE which is the biggest stage? Omega is a guy who will do what it takes to be the guy, he won’t hold back and just screams charisma. He has a look and swag that could make him one of top guys as soon as he walks in. He has ability to tell the story inside the ring like all the best do. He’s a straight fucking rockstar! From everything I’ve seen from him , he’s one of those guys you can’t take eyes off when they are in the ring. He could very much be like AJ and make everyone he faces better. Hopefully WWE tries to get this to happen because i personally would love to see what he could do in the big league.
Alexa Bliss should dump Buddy Murphy for me and here’s a few reasons why:
- Buddy Murphy was an NXT tag team champ. That’s cool, but I have a podcast with at least 5 listeners. Easy win for me.
- Buddy Murphy has a good body, ok good for him, but i have a mid-sized suv AND it’s a Mazda.
- So he’s got a charming Australian accent. I have a more charming Boston accent, I’m the clear winner again.
- Buddy Murphy does a running brain buster as a finishing move… hmm I can’t compete with that, that’s fucking awesome. Although I’ve never seen him win so I’m taking the win on this one too.
- Alexa loves dogs and even has two. Guess who else has two, yup that’s right, I do. We’re both huge dog-lovers. Who can resist this face?
- Buddy is a dog’s name. Jesus, is that why she likes him?? That’s weird to even think about so I’m taking the win once again.
- She dresses like Harley Quinn. I am willing to wear Joker makeup if thats what she’s into. Would Buddy?? Doubtful.
- Alexa loves Disney. According to Alexa’s Instagram, Buddy just recently took his first photo with a Disney character. I did that shit when I was 4. I freaking love disney and you better believe I’ll take her to Space Mountain … it’s my favorite coaster.
- And finally, when she’s in the ring cutting a promo and she looks directly into the camera, I see the way she looks at me. Why you got to be so coy Alexa?
I’m going to try and keep this short. Raw has become the C show. Yes, the C show. I think it’s pretty well accepted by now that Smackdown is leagues ahead of Raw. It even beat Raw in the ratings last week. I would even say that NXT is ahead of Raw. It is for me. NXT may not have the most creative stories but they have great wrestlers and they spend the time to show off those wrestlers with decent length matches.
Raw spends too much time on squash matches, replays of events that have just occurred, old wrestlers to get cheap nostalgia pops and the over-done “authority” angle. Do the GM and commish need to be involved at every point in the show? And when they do appear, it’s as if the whole segment is about them. You should be helping new stars get over, not boosting your own stock. DB/Shane only appear for quick segments on Smackdown and it’s to help promote whoever they are with at the time. The Raw writers need to step up their creative game if they want to keep the 3 hour format and compete with their other brands. It’s impossible to watch live with so much filler and old material. There just needs to be more substance to keep fans interested for 3 hours every Monday.
With Wrestlemania around the corner its once again time for the WWE to pick its 2017 inductees into the WWE Hall of Fame. As always there are going be some real stinkers with one or two truly deserving recipients. When you think of the Hall of Fame you should think of legends such as Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, and Stone Cold Steve Austin. However, when you look back last couple years we such “greats” as Rikishi and Godfather. The Hall of Fame should be the last stop for the wrestlers that influenced and made positive contributions to their art. It seems now that Hall of Fame may just become a stop for wrestlers that were liked within the company. If you look at the NFL they always induct their greatest athletes and I mean GREATEST. Not the athletes that were most liked or cherished, but the best of the best. Now I am not diminishing what Rikishi and Godfather did during their times in the WWE, I just do not believe it was Hall of Fame worthy.
We look towards this years Hall of Fame, it has been reported DDP will be inducted. At first I was against this decision. I thought does DDP deserve the Hall of Fame recognition, I started looking over DDPs record. He had a career spanning three decades and numerous titles. Does how many belts you have won dictate a place in the Hall of Fame? In that case Roman Reigns and Sheamus are already in a place to be inducted in the Hall of Fame, but in my opinion at this moment neither of them deserve a place inside the golden halls.
I am still conflicted on the idea of DDP making in the Hall of Fame at this moment I think he deserves over most. I am more worried on who is next if WWE wants to induct 5 or 6 wrestlers a year. My feeling is the unworthy may start entering more than the worthy. When this becomes common place, the Hall of Fame will be meaningless.
Here’s an amalgamated list of each of our answers.
- Breakout Star of the Year: AJ, Dean, Ellsworth
- Woman of the Year: Charlotte
- Match of the Year (WWE) : KO vs Sami at Battleground, AJ vs. Cena at Summerslam
- Match of the Year (NXT) : Revival vs DIY Takeover Toronto, Finn vs Samoa Joe at Lowell, MA, Sami vs Shinsuke
- Disappointment of the year: Finn getting universal title and then getting injured, Dolph’s career
- Tag Team of the Year (WWE): New Day, Enzo and Cass, Heath Slater & Rhyno
- Tag Team of the Year (NXT): The Revival
- NXT Superstar of the Year: Shinsuke, Samoa Joe
- Heel of the Year: Miz, Samoa Joe
- Babyface of the Year: Shinsuke, Becky Lynch, Dean Ambrose
- Moment of the year: Finn winning the universal title shot on his first night and winning the title, The list of Jericho, Golberg beating Brock in 60 seconds
- Funniest Segment: Rhyno Claus on Talking Smack, New Day makes the list
- Who to look out for 2017: Samoa Joe, Baron Corbin
- Superstar of the Year: AJ
This is the first blog post of the World Wrasslin Podcast. On this blog, you will find some of our random thoughts about WWE over the course of the week and the results of some of our games and other segments from our podcast for people who don’t have time to listen or for those who can’t stand the sound of our voices.